[plug] nvidia drivers (was: 5.1 Sound card + tv out card)

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 6 23:28:01 WST 2002

I know what you mean mate, the only thing I can suggest is to keep getting
the latest, and read the installation instructions VERY carefully. I had a
machine that would just stop every few hours, no matter what you were doing.
Then I found that I had three different drivers installed at the same time!
Gawd! The latest drivers do make it a fair bit more stable though, but it
still hangs for me if I've been in KDE overnight. Logout when you're
finished, don't leave it hanging there with the Matrix screensaver on!

>>At the moment, the most popular cards about are the geforce range, you
>>can have the closed source drivers from nVidia's website, they aren't
>>too hard to install, but you do have to be careful. They are.....
>>kinda unstable though, when they work properly, they REALLY work
>>though! ;)
>
>Funny you should say that... my machine has decided about a week ago,
>with no apparant changes, that if left idle for a while with X running
>it will at best segfault on the X server and at worst crash hard and
>have to be power-cycled.  If I disable the NVidia drivers, all is fine.
>Tried different AGP settings etc to no avail. *arrggh*
>
>Its unfortunate that when the drivers and cards work, they're the best
>available esp for x-video, 3D, etc.

Make lunch, not war.