[plug] Reinstalling debian

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Jul 9 13:38:53 WST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:35:01PM +0800, Jeff Williams wrote:
> I have a debian server whose hard drive is dying. It is still accessible,
> but I need to replace it with a new one. How can I get easily install the
> same packages that were on the old hd? I know I can get from
> /var/lib/dpkg/status, but that doesn't strike me as fun.

If you can still bring up the old machine, then the easiest way is probably
to do a `dpkg --get-selections > file.txt`, and then copy this file.txt
off the machine. This will have all the installed packages listed. Then
on the new system (installation) doa  `dpkg --set-selections  < file.txt`
to import your package preferences.

Otherwise, dig around the directory you mentioned... ;)

> Jeff
>
> PS. Due you need to be a member to turn up at the meeting  tonight?

Nope.  But it is appreicated if you can join up, since we can then count
you as a proper member when we (Committee/Conf) are talking to other
groups (ie, PLUG has X members, and Y people who hang out on the mailing
list -- and we need X to come up to somewhere near Y!)

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to
 Remainder moved to http://www.james.rcpt.to/james/sig.html