[plug] Reinstalling debian

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Tue Jul 9 13:41:52 WST 2002

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Jeff Williams wrote:

> I have a debian server whose hard drive is dying. It is still accessible,
> but I need to replace it with a new one. How can I get easily install the
> same packages that were on the old hd? I know I can get from
> /var/lib/dpkg/status, but that doesn't strike me as fun.

Backup you data and config files. Then:
dpkg --get-selections > /path/to/your/backup/dpkg.selections

... reinstall ...

apt-get update
dpkg --set-selections < /path/to/your/backup/dpkg.selections
apt-get dselect-upgrade

> PS. Due you need to be a member to turn up at the meeting  tonight?

No, BUT you can join while your there :)
Serriously, You don't need to be a member to use the list of attend meetings
but if you're getting good things outta plug why not fork over the $10.00

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!