[plug] Reinstalling debian

Peter Wilsmore djinn at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 10 08:37:27 WST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 01:35:01PM +0800, Jeff Williams wrote:
> I have a debian server whose hard drive is dying. It is still accessible,
> but I need to replace it with a new one. How can I get easily install the
> same packages that were on the old hd? I know I can get from
> /var/lib/dpkg/status, but that doesn't strike me as fun.

The old drive doesn't happen to be a Fujitsu does it? If it is and it is
being warranty replaced make sure the replacement isn't Fujitsu. A large
number of recent IDE fujitsu drives have problems with the controler
board that will cause them to fail after ~1y running time at the most.

thanks,
  the Djinn