[plug] Configuring ipchains on potato

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 10 15:24:37 WST 2002

>>Anyway, long story short. I'd like to get up to speed on configuring a
>>firewall/gateway & DNS (I think I can handle most everything else but I
>>have 0 experience with ipchains or setting up a DNS [2] (I'll be
>>registering an org.au ). The plan is to run all the services locally on
>>the alpha and only use the permanent dialup for the static IP so I may
>>need some hints here and there along the way on other things too.
>
> Get MonMotha (Google for it) for now, get technical later. About 12 simple
> questions to answer, run it from startup, game over.

OK, a few ideas for the setup that you might want to consider -
depending entirely on personal prefs of course.

_If_ you're thinking about moving to woody and a 2.4 kernel (yay
iptables), I'd reccomend installing the ipmasq package, at least if you
don't have world-reachable IPs for your internal LAN.

That way you can just create an /etc/ipmasq/I90external.rul file to
override the default rules (all ports open, internal lan "protected"
only by masq'd addrs) and create a half-decent firewall. Don't know if
its the best way but it fits in well with the rest of the system and its
worked well for me so far at home. At work I use fwbuilder (I'm lazy and
can't be stuffed writing huge rulesets by hand) to make a script that
correctly configures iptables.

As for dns, after you pick bind8 or bind9 (I really can't reccomend one
over the other as I lack the experience but I use bind8 myself
currently) its pretty easy to do the basics ; create a master zone file
for .localnet or .localdomain for your private network ( I tend to use
an invalid TLD like that because I use the 192.168.x.x range @home and
10.x.x.x at work, and don't want namespace conflicts with the outside
world). I don't know about others on the list but I won't use a
real-world TLD for private IP addresses.

You'll need another master zone file if you need to serve DNS for a real
domain too, rather than farming it out to someone else.

If you can't be stuffed learing to config bind manually, webmin to the
rescue :-) there are some good bind modules out there. Its also a good
idea IMHO to set up bind to do forwarding and set it as the DNS for all
local machines on the lan ; that way you can transparently cache, hide
dns server changes from client machines, cleanly fail-over to secondary
DNS servers, etc. I use DHCP to inform client machines of their intended
DNS settings etc.

I can provide a sample /etc/ipmasq/I90external.rul if you're interested,
as well as sample zone files etc. I don't claim that they're ideal but
they work well for me.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)