[plug] GenToo anyone ...

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Wed Jul 10 19:52:45 WST 2002

Just thought I'd post my experience with gentoo. It is my primary linux
distro at home, has been for about a month now. About that time I was
getting sick of the problems with my redhat install, so grabbed the stage1
iso (the base 16mb image) fired it up and nuked my main linux install with
it.

Took about 12hrs to do the bootstrap and base install (glibc, gcc, bash,
make...) during which I fired up an extra console on the installing sys,
logged into my gateway and went about my business as normal. Oh this is a
PII-350 over a 56k modem that i was installing with.

Got it booting played with it a bit (installed some console apps local so
didnt need to ssh into other box) then did

emerge gnome

left it overnight and logged into a gnome 2 desktop the next morning very
nice.

I got all the gnome progs I regularly use and the latest gnome2 all running
fast and stable which is something I've never achieved with any other
distro.

my basic feel is if you know what your doing (or know how to follow
intructions) this is a good distro to play with, or even use full time. It
does do somethings differently, its init scripts and levels for one, and you
need to read up on them but the doco is good and covers it all, tis well
worth checking out.

Adam