[plug] Open Office

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Thu Jul 11 18:40:59 WST 2002

Hi all

I have installed Open Office on both my Windows machine and Linux machine
and I am totally thrilled with it.  I haven't used Microsoft Office since
receiving OO and since I have been still using the old MS Office 97, it
looks like Microsoft are never going to sell me an upgrade to MS Office 2000
or higher now that I have experienced OO.  I have also installed OO on a
couple of new machines I have recently sold and the customers are delighted
with the product ( and the price - LOL)

I have two challenges, though, that you might be able to help me with.

1.  Spell Check - US English
Even though I chose English Australian as the default language, when I
installed OO, the spell checker uses the English USA dictionary, which is no
good for the work I need to use it for.

2.  Screen appearance
As I said, I run OO under both Windows and Linux - different hard disks on
the same machine, using the same monitor.

When running OO under Win98 the quality of the screen is excellent and at
first glance you might think you are looking at Microsoft Word or Excel.

However, when running OO under Linux, KDE, monitor set to 600 x 800 (same as
for Windows) the characters on the various buttons and the menu headings are
scratchy and uneven .... sort of fainter and braking up a bit.

So OO under Win 98 looks superb - under Linux it looks quite amateurish on
the screen.

I would be obliged for any suggestions or comments.

Technical details that might be relevant:
Computer:  AMD 233 MHz with 256 Mb SDRAM and 2x 20 Gb HDD's
Monitor:     Proview 15" super VGA monitor set to 600x800 pixels in both
cases (at least I think that is so)

Kind regards

James Elliott
Ravensthorpe Computers