[plug] Installing to a different directory

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Jul 12 08:40:30 WST 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Steege, Phil E wrote:

> How do I install an application into a different directory.
> I want to run more than one version of Wine so I can see which versions work
> with some of my windows applications.
>
> I know how to do it with an rpm:
>
> rpm --install --prefix /usr/local/yourdir your-rpm-x.rpm
>
> But, I am installing from source.

If the application uses autoconf then you can do the following:
./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/dir
make
make install

> Is there something in the 'make install' command?
> Do I have to edit the Makefile?

If auconf isn;t used then yes, you probably need to edit the Makefile(s)

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!