[plug] Installing to a different directory

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Jul 12 14:46:02 WST 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Craig Ringer wrote:

> > If the application uses autoconf then you can do the following:
> > ../configure  --prefix=/usr/local/dir
> > make
> > make install

> That'll _help_ but you'll still need to create different config dirs
> ".wine-vers1 .wine-vers2" as well. I haven't the foggiest how to tell
> wine to look for its config in somewhere other than ~/.wine/config
> though - just letting you know that you'll probably have to.

Assuming all Wines were build along the lines:
../configure  --prefix=/usr/local/wine-<desc>
where "<desc>" is a flag fo some kind to seperate each differnt version of
wine (could be cvs pull date, could just be 1, 2 or 3 etc etc),
and he only thing that needs to change betwen each verion of wine is the
.wine/config file.

Make a file like:
----~/bin/myWine
#!/bin/bash
$prg=`basename $0`
cd ~/.wine
ln -sf confg-$prg config
exec /usr/local/wine-$prg/bin/wine $*
----

Then make a symlink in ~/bin (or any other directory in your path) with a name
that matches the "<desc>" vaule of the wine you want to run.

ie
cd /usr/local/src/
slurp wine           <grin>
cd wine
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/wine-vanilla
make
make install
make dist clean (kill all config.cache files and .o files)
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/wine-directX --enable-directX
make
make install
cd ~/bin
ln -s myWine vanilla
ln -s myWine directX

Now when you want the boring old wine then run
~/bin/vanilla notepad
but if you want the wizz bang direcctX version then do
~/bin/directX tuxracer

Now does any of that make sense ???  In case you're wondering I know next to
nothing about wine.

#include <http://thor.cantech.net.au/~tony/stddisclaimer.h>

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!