[plug] Linux Enthusiasm - Are we over the top?

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 16 07:50:37 WST 2002

Has anyone read the Tom's Hardware article regarding AMD?

http://www.tomshardware.com/smoke/02q3/020704/index.html

And it's followup:

http://www.tomshardware.com/smoke/02q3/020715/index.html

It talks about AMD kicking the underdog image and stepping up as a
serious CPU contender.
After reading it I joked "I've heard this before..." The feeling
afterwards was a little offputting...

Do people think Linux will always stay relatively small, because it's
cooler to be the underdog?

Are we Linux fans coming across too obsessive about what is just another
operating system?

Craig F.

PS This is *not* a flame troll. It worried me a couple of years ago to
see some people out and out lie sometimes saying that Linux is the
be-all and end-all of OS's for home users. It's gotten heaps better (the
Linux desktops etc AND the truthfulness of the worst part of the crowd),
but I was wondering what other people thought regarding the image the
RealWorld(tm) has of Linux and it's fans