[plug] X startup

Russell Steicke russells at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Jul 16 10:05:11 WST 2002

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 07:50:03PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:45, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
> > Currently X starts up when I turn the computer on. This means I amd
> > presented with xdm. How can I change this so I login with the Virtual
> > Terminals?
>
> Permanently:
>
> vi /etc/inittab
> /^id
> <Ctrl-W><Ctrl-W><Ctrl-X><Ctrl-X>ZZ

Reading this closely... On debian (LinuxAlien said he was using potato)
this would be very bad, as it would change the init default run level to
0, which would make the machine shutdown as soon as it started.  RedHat
and Mandrake use runlevel 3 for normal multi-user, and 5 for multi-user
with X.  Debian uses runlevel 2 for multi-user, and starts X with an init
script.  So to stop the X login screen from appearing at boot

 # rm /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm

To restore it

 # cd /etc/rc2.d
 # ln -s ../init.d/xdm S99xdm

(I know there is a tool to do this, I just can't remember what it is at
the moment.)

To do this temporarily

 # /etc/init.d/xdm stop

Or