[plug] PLUG server hardware

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Jul 16 13:32:14 WST 2002

Chris Crawford [mailto:chris at linuxwa.com.au] wrote:

> > Hi Pluggers
> > The new server will be a Duron 1.2Ghz CPU, 512Mb RAM, 20 Gb
> > HDD ATA 100
> > 7200 RPM Seagate, MSI 6378x-L with a Tulip(based) ethernet card in a
> > Aopen kf45 Case.
> > This basically the blueprint of all LinuxWA servers we have been using
> > for the last six months. With the exception of CPU's.
> > Any comments would be appreciated
> >

> Why ATA over SCSI? (Expense? I know the server is a gift)
>
> I have a bit of an irrational fear of ATA drives in server boxen
> because of
> a few bandwidth problems i've had with (seagate) ATA disks.
>
> Carl

What about mirroring of disks/RAID/backup strategies ????? I just know Leon
is going to cry foul if his data is lost due to a hardware failure with no
data backup. *grin*

Distro choice will be Debian of course ????? *grin*

Tony are the Cantech archives planned to be moved to the new box or are
cantech happy for them still reside at http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/ ?????
How much space do our archives currently take up ?????

On a separate note I am happy to assist pro-bona on setting up the server if
needed. I happen to be in between contracts at the moment and my wife is
running out of things for me to do (yippee).

Michael Hunt