[plug] Module/Kernel problem

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Jul 17 09:49:00 WST 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Craig Dyke wrote:

> Everytime I run lilo after compiling my kernel i get an
> error message stating
>
> modprobe can't locate block-major-3
>
> This doesn't seem to effect lilo from updating ( I think )
>
> Only reference I could find was in ide.txt under doco which talked about
> an alias
>
>     alias block-major-3 ide-probe
>
> Now I know i don't have a module called ide-probe.

Block device major# 3 is the IDE subsystem.  I can see 3 options:
1. You have an IDE system and it is working.
    If this is the case then just set:
      alias block-major-3 off
    and depmod -a

2. You have a complete SCSI system and dont need IDE support.
    If this is the case then just set:
      alias block-major-3 off
    and depmod -a

3. You have a complete SCSI system and need IDE support (sometimes).
    Then you need to do as the readme says:
	alias block-major-3 ide-probe
    or under kernel 2.4
	alias block-major-3 ide-probe-mod
    and depmod -a

If you don't have an appropriate ide-probe module then you may need to rebuild
your kernel.

Yours Tony

   Jan 22-25 2003           Linux.Conf.AU            http://linux.conf.au/
		  The Australian Linux Technical Conference!