[plug] X startup

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 17 10:43:11 WST 2002

I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
> Well I have temporary fixed by moving the xdm exactable to xdbbak.bak
> and then rebooted. No X this time, I tried removing it with apt-get
> remove but it wanted to also remove X-windows?

That's one of my pet peeves. Most likely it says it wants to remove
"x-window-system" , right? Well an apt-cache show x-window-system gives:

  This metapackage provides substantially all the components of the X Window
  System as developed by the XFree86 Project, as well as a set of
historically
  popular accessory programs.

Key thing here is that its a metapackage. You can remove it safely as it
doesn't provide any functions, its only purpose is to depend on a set of
packages to make an easy way to install them.

Of course, if it wants to remove anything else that's a different story.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)