[plug] standard (was X startup)

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 18 06:26:03 WST 2002

These are standards paradoxically!  They trace their history back to
earlier Unix's/BSD or where ever they pinched the original config from.
e.g., Mandrake follows RH, gentoo takes ideas from BSD/debian.  Part of
the flexibility is due to the ability to mix and match.

Your last point about desktops is sorta valid: but at the loss of much
flexibility and function.  KDE and Gnome have emerged as the standard
destops, particularly for workstations.

You will find that most packages have a readme which state what other
packages are needed.  Mandrakes "urpmi" will tell you what is needed
after checking the current system.  However none are perfect, and are
quite fragile when you start adding your own packages (not the
manufacturers matched ones)

RedHat is a bit primitive in its package handing, Mandrake and debian
are a lot better.

If you dont like the way your linux distro does things, roll your own or
wait a day or two and a better one may come along!

BillK