[plug] MySQL and Indexes: testing the speed.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Jul 18 15:40:03 WST 2002

Hello everyone,

I have been playing with indexes on MySQL, and decided to run some tests to
see how much an index on columns that are in 'where' clauses will help.

Results at http://www.james.rcpt.to/programs/mysql/speed/

The code is in Perl with DBI, so anyone wanting to pull it apart can.  Its
horride code, not cleaned up or documented; I wrote it just to get some
numbers out. Feel free to modify and do your own tests.

The conclusion is that on ~ 70,000 rows you can get a 4.5 times speed
improvment doing selects and only suffer a 10% hit during inserts (and
probably the same during updates) by creating an index on just the first 3
characters of a 'varchar' column, whereas a complete index on the entire
varchar will only give you a 3.2 times speed increase at a cost of 67%
slower during inserts (and updates?).

Hence, a blind index on a column isn't always optimal, but better than
no index.

Sorry if this is obvious for our DBAs out there; I am not a DBA, and felt
this was intersting.

  James
--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.james.rcpt.to