[plug] Radeon, agp and Xfree86

Craig Dyke grail at enterprize.net.au
Fri Jul 19 01:34:09 WST 2002

First of all i would like to apologise for the html dribble from Outlook.
Have just been setting
up my home computer and forgot to use plain text to plug :((

Am trying to set up xfree to use my radeon card.
After using XFree86 -configure and then adjusting file XF86Config (see
attached)
I ran startx and get told that agp is not available.

>From here i do a modprobe agpgart and get:

agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: insmod agpgart failed

And Xfree never seems to load my radeon card either. If i modprobe it that
seems to be fine but still get line in
Xfree log that says:

(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
(EE) RADEON(0): [drm] failed to remove DRM signal handler

Am running on an Athlon 1100, 512MB Ram, Radeon SDR.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)