[plug] Debian + Network card

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sat Jul 20 21:01:43 WST 2002

> I have tried both the methods suggested but no luck. I downloaded source
> code from various places to make the right module but got compile errors
> and when i didn't, when i tried to insmod the compiled module got more
> errors. The card is an 3c905C-TXM and isn't compatible with the drivers
for
> the 3c905A but uses the same drivers as the 3c905B. the 3c59x drivers are
> meant to work with the 3c905A and when i install the with modconf they
> install. after i do that i don't know what to next to get them to work as
> eth0. this is where i am now getting stuck.

I just set up one of these cards from a stock standard 2.2r6 install using
2.2.19 kernel.

As you noted this driver inserts correctly:

modprobe 3c59x

Then you can edit /etc/network/interfaces to look vaguely like this
(depending on your network):

#--------

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
    address  10.0.0.2
    netmask  255.255.255.0
    network  10.0.0.0
    broadcast 10.0.0.255
    gateway  10.0.0.1

#--------

then do:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

and then eth0 *should* be around somewhere in ifconfig, if not send us some
dmesg output relating to the inserting or failed inserting of the 3c59x
module.

HTH

Ryan