[plug] configing iptables

bob bob at contact.omen.com.au
Mon Jul 22 09:53:16 WST 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 09:12, Colin Muller wrote:

> For a more generic way to achieve what you want (blocking incoming on
> ppp0), look at:
> http://www.iptables.org/documentation/HOWTO/packet-filtering-HOWTO-5.html

Hmm... ok, thanks. I do want to be able to share a few things with the
world though so this isn't going to be suitable for my situation.

Maybe a bit more detailed map would clarify the situation...

LAN machines

===box called fatso====
eth0
everything this side open to LAN
smtp ssh httpd ... jabber mysql
+++++firewall+++++
services visible to world
smtp ssh httpd dns. Nothing else.
ppp0
===box called fatso====

internet

Does that make it clearer?

<snip>
> There's a decent overview of the basic concepts, complete with
> pictures, in Section 3 of Oskar Andreasson's tutorial, and useful
> examples in Appendix I, with commentary on them in Section 7:
>
> http://www.iptables.org/documentation/tutorials/blueflux/

Yes, found that thanks. Quite useful.

--
bob