[plug] KDE install

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jul 22 13:07:15 WST 2002

> Is there a way to install KDE desktop environment from the original RedHat
> 7.3 cd's.
Well from RH7.0 memory (the last RH I used), you should just be able to
mount the CDs and rpm -i kde* though you'll have to find and resolve a
whole bunch of dependencies etc. There's probably an easier way but this
_will_ work. Of course you might want to pick _which_ bits of kde you
install, starting with kdebase and kdelibs then adding more and
resolving deps as you go.

If you've got enough space on your homedir, make a temp dir there and cp
all the RPMs you'll need there before you do the install, that way you
can have all the deps resolved and all required RPMs in one place before
you rpm -i. I seem to remember nightmares about pkg 1 depends pkg2
depends pkg 3 where pkg 1 and 3 are on disc 1 and pkg 2 are on disc 2...
*sigh* much easier to work from a temp dir.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)