[plug] OT: Sites bow to Microsoft's browser king

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Mon Jul 22 16:12:47 WST 2002

>On another though slightly unrelated note is the need to take into account
>people with disabilities when designing web sites. With the increasing use
>of flash and heavily graphic based sites it is more and more difficult for
>visually impaired people to use websites to access information. While there
>have not been any recorded instances of cases where the government has
asked
>website creators to make there content more accessible it is within there
>right and discrimination laws to do this.

IIRC, the Sydney 2000 Olympic committee got dragged over the coals for their
website not being accessible to the vision impaired. I don't remember what
the outcome was, but I do remember that there was at least an initial
judgement requiring the committee to fix the website.

Russ %-)

Dr Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia