[plug] Memorable quote about OSS and schools

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jul 23 11:28:38 WST 2002

Quoting Jon Adam from the current Linux in Education report
(http://www.seul.org/edu/report75.html):

    We are pleased to announce that we have convinced the local high
    school, to turn one computer lab into an entire Open Source system.
    We donated 15 PCs and installed Redhat 7.3 on 14 pcs as workstations,
    and setup the last as a file, print, and mail server for them. I got
    an email from the teacher of the class and he said that in 1 month's
    time now, they have not had to reboot one machine, in the other lab,
    (window's based) they just had a virus go through and take out the
    entire districts network, other than our computer lab, and the two
    elementary schools, in which we have setup linux file servers for
    them using samba. So at these two schools, all of the computers that
    don't use email are fine.

    I got a call this morning from the head of the school board wanting
    to know what it would cost to switch more machines over. I told him,
    "nothing, that is the beauty of Open Source Software."

Actually, that's the beauty of _some_ OSS, but anyway...

Cheers; Leon