[plug] Woody on 7 CDs!? Why?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Tue Jul 23 16:11:48 WST 2002

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 14:34, Matt Kemner wrote:

> The packages are ordered on the CDs according to "popularity"
> I have no idea who decides how popular they are[0], and you can never
> please everybody, but it's probably safe to say anybody will be able to
> find over 80% of the software they want on the first 2 or 3 CDs.

Aaah! That is good to know. I suspected at least the first one had all the
really important stuff.

So, is there a list somewhere of what is on each CD? ^_^

> Looks like the "debian-cd" package does most of that already.
> I haven't used it, so I don't know how well it works, but I just had a
> quick scan through it's README, and it says:
>
> make list TASK=tasks/your-task-here
>
> which looks like you can use the tasks from TaskSel and fill up the CDs as
> you want.[1]

Hmmm. Yes, it does look like it might do the trick. I still think a nice
curses "GUI" would make it easy enough for anyone to use.
The amount of times I install Debian doesn't warrant the time to create a
custom CD. ^_^;;

> See my response to your first point - if you download/copy/purchase only
> the first 3 CDs, you will most likely have most (if not all) of what you
> need anyway.  I'm sure LinuxWA etc would be more than happy to sell you
> only the first CD, or the first 3 CDs, or however many you would prefer.

I can slurp the images down at work and burn them if I need them. ^_^
So far, I really haven't needed anything other than CD #1, which doubles as
both base install, and recovery disk.

One of these days I will get around to making a custom CD, but it'll be more
of a tools/recovery CD than a Debian install (although I could try and
combine the two... Hmmm.)

Michael Hunt also wrote:
> I use PGI - the Progeny Graphical Installer, to setup Debian based systems
> [2] and find that it works great and is simpler to install for newbies due
> to its graphical nature. At the moment there are only beta versions of the

I looked at PGI and it looks really cool! One of these days I'll look into a
PGI Woody install disc and try and convert a RedHat friend of mine. ^_^

A Woody DVD would be great, although not all machines have DVD-ROM drives yet.
Might be an excuse to get a DVD-ROM for the server at home though. -_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |