Getting updated (was: Re: [plug] Woody on 7 CDs!? Why?)

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Jul 24 11:29:26 WST 2002

Leon Blackwell [mailto:leon at lostrealm.com] wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:52:59AM +0800, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > Has anyone else used it, or other specific apt cache/proxy schemes?
>
> I've been using apt-proxy very successfully over a 28.8k dialup to
> maintain a few boxes, and I'm very impressed.  rsync saves some
> downloading for updates, and the configuration options mean you can hold
> on or release packages as you decide to.
>
> The only thing I'm a little annoyed at is that the rsync downloading
> doesn't always stream the data smoothly through to the local connection,
> leaving aptitude's progress bars fairly useless, but then that's part of
> how rsync works.
>
> As an alternative, I've heard that apt-catcher is quite good, but I'm
> happy with apt-proxy.

I'm also happy with apt-proxy. It took a bit of work to get it configured
and understand exactly how it worked (more so due to my ignorance of how
exactly apt worked than the doco). I didn't have rsync installed and since I
had apt archives and a squid cache full of packages that I had downloaded I
decided to use http instead.

May now investigate rsync since Woody is stable. When was the last time you
tried apt-proxy ???

Michael Hunt