[plug] ISO's please

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Wed Jul 24 11:29:26 WST 2002

bob [mailto:bob at contact.omen.com.au] wrote about Mandrake 9.0 being compiled
using gcc-3.1:

> On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 09:21, Leon Brooks wrote (in response to sol's
question):

> > On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:09, sol wrote (with the question):

> > > My question here is:
> > >
> > > Does anyone have the latest version of SuSE (8.0) or Mandrake
> > > (8.3) on CD?

Now Leon replies :-

> > My mistake, the latest is now 9.0beta1; Mandrake 9.0 is
> > scheduled to be out in 5-6 weeks.

With Bob making the following point :-

> I understand that 9.0 is to be compiled using  gcc-3.1, is this going to
> be a _major_ problem ? (incompatibilities with other S/W). I can see a
> lot more src rpms being used but hopefully they'll bring it out on a 7
> CD set and solve that one :).

So wouldn't it be better for sol to stick with 8.2 since :-

a) He is dealing with Newbies
b) He will do much more for the cause offering them a stable release with
bugs all ironed out than a bleeding edge one.
c) 9.0 may not even be out by the time he does his presentation
d) It is a point zero release and there are bound to be bugs (this is not
Debian you know).

I think I will leave it there and wait till I'm flamed to make further
points about Debian's superiority.

Michael Hunt