[plug] _hard_ crashes with X

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 25 15:57:09 WST 2002

> Yes, but supposedly limited to Athlons, NVIDIA cards (ie not Savage4, so this
> may not be it) and AGP. The Athlon's `large page' memory mode exercises a bug
> which kills Linux. There is a workaround involving a boot option to force
> normal memory pages. In theory, a PCI video card should avert the issue.

Don't think thats it (I'm using PCI access mode for the card) but thanks
for the info.

I've spent a day working on this in my "spare" time @work and just after
posting that message I thought "what about the mouse?". One "rm -f
/dev/psaux ; X -allowMouseOpenFail" later X comes up sans mouse. It
turns out that even trying to "cat /dev/psaux" crashes the kernel hard -
prob'ly faulty mobo.

I got a serial mouse working with gpm. Still haven't got it working
under X (mouse stops working once I launch X, gpm running or not) but
I'll get it fixed eventually. I don't want to use gpm passthough,
because this is intended for _really_ low end machines and the less
processes running the better.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion, consider the problem "fixed" now.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)