[plug] Mail without /etc/passwd

Jeff Williams jw at globaldial.com
Sat Jul 27 10:24:46 WST 2002

Is it possible to set up a mail server where all the authetication and
user lookup is done on another machine? For example, I have a machine
for authentication with a mysql database with users authentication
details. Can I set up a mail server which will do SMTP, POP3 and IMAP
for any user listed in the database? I want to be able to add, remove,
lock users without editing any files on the mail server.

I know I can do authentication with pam, but I thought most SMTP servers
check for a valid user on the system, or an alias.

Any help appriciated.

Jeff