[plug] Mail without /etc/passwd

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Sun Jul 28 20:32:04 WST 2002

Jeff Williams [mailto:jw at globaldial.com] wrote:

> Is it possible to set up a mail server where all the authetication and
> user lookup is done on another machine? For example, I have a machine
> for authentication with a mysql database with users authentication
> details. Can I set up a mail server which will do SMTP, POP3 and IMAP
> for any user listed in the database? I want to be able to add, remove,
> lock users without editing any files on the mail server.
>
> I know I can do authentication with pam, but I thought most SMTP servers
> check for a valid user on the system, or an alias.
>
> Any help appriciated.
>
> Jeff

Take a look at Cyrus IMAP. It will do POP3 as well as IMAP. I did once setup
cyrus to authenticate against a mysql database but I have forgotten the
steps to that now.

You can find more info at http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/. If you need
more info on the sql authentication issue drop me a line and I will se what
I can dig up from my archives.

Michael Hunt