[plug] ADSL issue

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Jul 28 21:25:25 WST 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 16:48, Jon Miller wrote:
> We are looking at ISDN
> but this can get to be very expensive for what we need to do.

We discussed DoV here not long ago. If you can get the line classed as a
`Home' line, you're away.

> Also the speed isn't there.

Raw throughput ain't, but latency (for things like ssh/PCAnywhere) is OK.

> I'm told there is some kind of fibre-optic component in place.

If your client sits near an Amcom fibre, they're in business. 2MB bi-di
minimum and several hundred a month just for transport (ie internet
connectivity and per-byte costs not included) though.

> I see there are some issues regarding this infrastructure is in the ACCC.
> Anyone have any updates on what is being done?

No, but Eftel offer wireless to most places now, and WestNet will be soon
(with proper big-budget Marconi gear, which imples better service than Eftel,
but more expensive to install and slower rollout).

Cheers; Leon