[plug] Telnet and woody and macs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 30 15:48:23 WST 2002

>>> Also is it possible to not have to type in the IP and be able to type
>>> in the computer name? the mac is using TCP/IP
>>
>> Yes, assuming you have DNS set up. If not, the mac might have some
>> equivalent of /etc/hosts but I really don't know. I seem to remember
>> something in the System Folder like that...
>
> TCP/IP settings had space for lots of that stuff, so do i just enter my
> computer name?

*blink* *blink*
Sorry, not following you. First: settings on which computer? Are you
trying to "telnet linuxbox" from the mac where linuxbox = <name of linux
box> not <IP of linux box>, or something else?

I seem to remember you have two machines: a mac and a linux box, right?
you want to ssh from the mac to the linux box and want to be able to use
the linux box's hostname rather than IP.

Easy answer: Get MacSSH, and set up the default connection to be to the
linux box. No more typing in IP addrs.

To be able to use computer "names" for TCP/IP addressing you need to
have a local DNS server configured and running, or you need to have told
the computer operating system about certain hostname -> IP mappings
beforehand using a file like /etc/hosts. If you don't know what I'm on
about, you almost certainly don't have a DNS server. You may be able to
set up mappings manually though, if you can figure out how.

I doubt you can set hostname->IP mappings via the mac's TCP/IP control
panel, but there may be a file you can edit somewhere in the preferences
or system folders. BBEdit and ResEdit are your friends.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)