[plug] remote terminal

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 30 22:27:18 WST 2002

> ow can i set up an old box as a remote terminal. i.e. not having a OS
> installed and booting from the network/grabbing a tty from the server.
> It has a 4x cdrom and a ISA netcard. I wish to have it as a terminal
> for my linux box.

Easy except for the "grabbing a tty from the server" bit. Please explain
further - what do you mean by grabbing a tty from the server?

If you meant displaying a server login screen on the client... hmm. I
know how to do it using X (and have been having much, much fun with that
lately) but the best I can think of for the console is instead of
running a getty from inittab you run a shell script that waits for the
user to enter a username then runs ssh to connect to the server and
demand a password for login. Perhaps there's some kind of getty already
capable of that sort of thing, but it isn't something I've needed to
mess with.

Remote boot is fairly easy - you probably want to use etherboot and a
floppy disk, plus an OS image on the server shared over NFS. I can send
you quick instructions ( no batteries included, assembly definitely
required ) for a debian-based custom one or you could try ltsp or
something like that. Up to you. Alternately you could prep a custom
bootable ISO if your machine's BIOS is up to it.