[plug] remote terminal

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 31 16:44:20 WST 2002

> I wish to have it similar to an xterm, but as a text terminal.

OK, I think I get you now.

Try a script that waits for the user to input a username before
connecting to the server using "ssh -l $USERNAME $SERVER" where those
vars have been set appropriately already. You can set this script to run
from inittab on a couple of vts.

> Maybe
> booting form the network is what I want. Can you send some instructions
> then craig?
Done but I meant it when i said some assmbly required. And then some more...

That is to say, as I wrote it up I realised just how complex it had
become and just how unprepared I am to explain how to get everything
working yet.

Try ltsp (http://www.ltsp.org).

I'm not just BSing here, I do have this working and am now taking what I
wrote as an explanation for "linuxalien" and turning it into some
documentation. Once that's done and I've solved the main issues
remaining (getting NFS mounts to work _really_ early in boot and putting
in the swap setup bits) I can post it on the web for those interested in
a manual thin client build (its cool and useful).

If you really, really want to do it, you'll need a server with servers
for dhcp, tftp, and nfs, a chrootable linux install in a subdirectory on
your server (see man debootstrap for how on debian), a kernel with
nfs-boot and kernel-level ip autoconfig enabled + a NIC driver compiled
in (DO NOT USE for the server - its for the client machine to boot), an
etherboot boot disk for your client's NIC, the mknbi-linux program from
the etherboot tools, and a lot of time :-)

I'd say ltsp is your best bet if you don't want to get your hands
really, really dirty in the guts of the boot process.

BTW for those interested I'll be posting a _very_ preliminary version of
the docs (more a mini-draft-howto) at
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/~craig/ in the next couple of days.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)