[plug] Watching DVD's under Linux

Anthony Jones ajones at clear.net.nz
Sat Jun 1 15:29:03 WST 2002

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805-201 which I purchased in Los Angeles. It has
the following hardware:

Lucent Modem (I think it's called a Xircom or something).
Toshiba DVD drive
Savage4 video adapter
Yamaha sound card

The Lucent modem has drivers availble for it - there's a bit of faffing
around to get them working. Choose carefully which kind of Internal modem you
get. The hardest thing to work out is what your modem actually is. For the
Lucent modems there are Debian packages available - they're really good
because you just download them and install them with dpkg.

As for video - you need to have video hardware which supports Xv video,
otherwise your video will be too slow. This is supported on the Savage4.

Xine is the easiest DVD software to install on Debian Woody. I use it - it's
very good. I've got a syncing problem with sound to sort out but it used to
work so I'm sure it's something I can fix.

My machine won't boot Linux from CD but it will boot Windoze. I had to use
floppies to get started then loaded everything off CD.

Another thing - I had to get my DVD drive replaced THREE TIMES before I got
one which read CDs, music CDs and DVDs but of course this was done under
Toshibas warranty even though I bought the laptop from another country.

It's a while since I installed it all but if you have any trouble then I am
willing to help.

Anthony

On Friday 31 May 2002 11:05, Buddrige, David wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently in the marketplace for a Notebook computer.  There is one in
> particular that I am currently looking at - a Toshiba Satellite 1800.   One
> of the sellig points (for me) with this particular laptop, is that it comes
> with a built-in DVD player.  However, I plan to run it on GNU/Linux -
> probably Debian.  I would like to use it to watch DVD movies.  I note that
> there are several Linux/DVD projects; does anyone know how mature these are.
>
> Also, given that the DVD drive is instead of having a CD-drive, will it act
> like a normal CD player for me to install the OS using standard Debian CD's,
> or am I going to have to do special configuration just for the machine to
> read the Linux CD's off the DVD player?
>
> Alternately, any suggestions on laptops up to the value of $2,500 that
> support Linux are much appreciated.
>
> thanks heaps guys
>
> David Buddrige

recipient(s) only.  It may contain proprietary material, confidential
information and/or be subject to legal privilege.  It should not be copied,
disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party.  If you are not an
intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment
and all copies and inform the sender.  Thank you.