[plug] user rights

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Jun 3 16:01:11 WST 2002

On 3 Jun 2002, Jon L. Miller wrote:

> I was under the impressin that creating a user in a certain group and
> giving that group certain rights, whereever this use went they would
> only have the rights assigned to them by the group.

Yes that is 100% true.  BUT nearly every file/directoty on your filesystem
will default to world=rX (read and execute where neede).  if you wnat to set
it so that a particular users has no rights to all directories.

oops rereding you post you said "ro" not "no".

Let me start again.

You are still limited by the fact the unix only offers you
Owner, Group and World permissions.

Say you have a foler such that, it is shared by several users and you don't
want everyone onf the system to be able to read the files inthere. BUT you do
want this "special" user to have read-only access.

ie:
Users:wilma and fred need read/write access to all the files in /flintstones
so you create a group filtstones, make wilma and fred members.

ls -l /flistones

-rw-rw----  wilma flintstones shopping_list
-rw-rw----  fred  flintstones boys_at_the_lodge
etc etc

Now you have pebbles, who is allowed to read the data in /flintsones
for the obvisous reasons.  BUT you can't do that without:
 a) Making pebles a member of /flinstones, whch would give her "rw" access
 b) chaing the permissions such that _everyone_ will have read access.
 c) enhancing the std. unix file permissions.

Yours Tony

Jan 22-26 2003      Linux.Conf.AU       http://conf.linux.org.au/
         The Australian Linux Technical Conference!