[plug] DNS

chris choypoy at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 3 22:43:00 WST 2002

ugh, everytime I've seen a windows XP box trying to be used in
networking, and someone has attempted to turn on that ICS function or
that plug'n'play function (which is to do with winXP running a wierd
kind of MS-proxy to allow DirectX games to run through its firewall) --
I've seen trouble.
there is a documented issue on the 192.168.0.1 thing - I dont think you
can turn it off? best thing to do is avoid that address range I guess. I
think MS went a little TOO far in making it "easy" for
computer-illiterates to "do technical stuff" by just forcing it to
certain functions by default ? dunno, but it has made what should have
been a couple of simple support issues just rediculously drawn out from
what I've seen of it.