[plug] Laptop internet connection

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Tue Jun 4 20:29:30 WST 2002

On 04/06 19:52:33, Craig Dyke wrote:
> Hi all

Hi Craig,

> I am kind of new to networking under Linux.

We all start somewhere. :)

> I have a PC which is dual boot Linux/Windoze and a laptop with Linux
> running on it.
> My PC is 192.168.0.1
> Laptop is 192.168.0.2
>
> Both computers happily see each other and can individually dial-up.
>
> My question is can i set the laptop to dial-up when off my network and
> use PC dial-up when connected?  If so, can i be pointed in right
> direction to enable this situation please?

Okay... I don't think you phrased this quite right, but I _think_ you're
wanting to be able to connect your desktop PC to the internet via dialup,
and then access the internet on the laptop via the PC... is that right?

If so, good, because that's a relatively simple thing to do. :)

(Note that you can use some versions of Microsoft Windows to do what they
call "Internet Connection Sharing" - I know very little about this, but you
may be able to use it to do the same thing when your PC is in Windows)

First of all, it generally helps an _enormous_ amount if you can tell us a
few more things... like which version of which Linux distribution you're
running on the PC (and probably on the laptop too). We mainly need to know
which version of the Linux kernel you're using, and knowing the distro
helps with that and other things - of course, you could also be running a
kernel you've built yourself, in which case you should tell us which
version it is. :)

But if you feel like finding the answer yourself (which is often the best
way to learn), have a read through:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html#NETROUTING

specifically:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO/index.html

and

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html

> Craig

Note: it's not really an issue to use a direct-dialup 'net connection on
the laptop when you want to and use the PC as a gateway at other times.
Just work out how to set up the masquerading on your desktop PC first.

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,