[plug] Belkin KVM & Linux + XF86

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 5 00:21:16 WST 2002

Hi all
A quick question - Anybody used a Belkin 4port KVM before? I've got one
here and its working great (just installed today) except for fairly
serious mouse problems.

I've got a Microsoft Optical mouse (3button inc wheel, not "explorer")
which works fine under XF86-4 normally. When hooked up through the KVM,
it goes haywire wheneven its moved, generating all sorts of false clicks
etc, and jamming the pointer close to the bottom-left corner of the
screen. Not a happy thing at all. The mouse is USB with a PS/2 adapter
but I had similar troubles with an older more basic (again MS) mouse
that's native PS/2 when I tried it instead.

Changing the mouse protocol in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to "PS/2" from
"IMPS/2" worked ok, but now I don't get scroll wheel events or middle
click events. *aargghhhhh*. One of the few truly wonderful things MS
did, that scroll wheel (or did they steal that from Logitech too?).

Adding

Option "Buttons" "3"
(or 5)

doesn't help. Xev doesn't respond with anything when the middle mouse
button is clicked, and even cat /dev/psaux shows nothing. Anybody know
of any sort of "hex-cat" program that'll show non-printing chars?

I'm going nuts here. Life w/o KVM == Hell but Life w/o 3btn&wheel ==
Hell too.... any ideas greatly appreciated. Google turned up reports of
the problem but no solutions I could find.

Also anybody know if a mouse scroll wheel works under NT4SP2 (my other
GUI-capable OS here) for comparison?

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.