[plug] tip: cool mount + kernel2.4 trick

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 5 10:08:21 WST 2002

Simon Scott wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 June 2002 2:46 am, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>For those not in the know (me 'till 5 mins ago) thought I'd mention a
>>cool trick I just ran into.
>
> <snip>
>
> How does LVM fair in this scenario? Anyone here played with it?

Nope. I've always been suspicious of software RAID and disk spanning
stuff, I can't bring myself to trust it. OTOH HW RAID has its issues too
(your out-of-production RAID controller dies ... whoops) so I guess its
a silly way of doing things. Sw or Hw Raid0 is ok of course but more
than a little inefficient. I'd always like to be able to plug one of a
pair of failed disks into any machine and recover the data on that disk
though. Using LVM, Raid1, etc means that the failure of one of a set of
disks looses you all data on all disks yes? I'm not a fan of those odds.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is.