[plug] TV Outs and Linux as an Entertainment Box

Mark Nold markn at enspace.com
Wed Jun 5 10:33:49 WST 2002

Hi Guys

I have a freshly installed ASUS 7100 with Geforce 2 MX400 (Yeah for me :).
Running with out of the box RH7.2 installed.

The card has a nice TV Out Function, that i want to use with this box since
its really a headless server. Now if i boot it with the cable in the TV Out
it works (Yeah again) BUT only in text/console mode which even looks a bit
fuzzy.

So... my questions are:

1. If i want to get X to work i have to supply horizonatl and vertical
refresh rates so my TV isn't harmed. Any idea on what these should be for a
TV? (I havent got the manual for the TV)

2. What sort of resolution can i expect?

3. Is there any nice non-X based screen savers? Why? The box does duty as an
music server through my Video then Amp. I'd like something prettier on the
screen than "Top".. anything that looks funky will do. I remember some of
the old Dos/Amiga based Demos from years ago.. something like this would be
great.

4. Talking of Top and screen savers is my TV going to be hurt displaying the
same bits of text for hours on end? Do i need a screen saver for a TV? Also
i think the box automtically blanks the screen (in console mode) after 10
minutes or so. How can i turn this off once i have a nice visual effect?

5. (Just a general one) Anyone else using Linux as an Entertainment box? Any
suggestions, hints or experiences to share?

Thanks heaps,

mn