Yay Jeremy (was Re: [plug] Spam sender sues)

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 5 10:55:04 WST 2002

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 5:39 pm, Peter Wright wrote:

> *shake of head* You see idiots like "t3 Direct" making ridiculous legal
> threats all the time on news.admin.net-abuse.email about SPEWS:
> "SPEWS blocked our email, waaaah!" Pathetic little children.

OK, can someone explain something to me?

What possible bitch could T3 have? I mean legally, how could they have a leg
to stand on?

People *do not* have a right to pass packets through networks - it is a gift.
If I owned the servers and infrastructure that *all* of Perth's email went
through, wouldnt I have the right to drop packets on the floor as I see fit?

As far as I can tell, I would be perfectly within my rights to, say, drop all
of Leon's mail because he beat me at poker. Or drop all PLUG mail just cos I
feel like it.

People buy bandwidth, not a guarantee that a packet entering network A will
make it out the other end to Network B etc.

If I purchased an email a/c off, say, iinet and they blocked it, I would be
pissed cos its what I paid for - however my only recourse (I believe) would
be a refund.

Yes? No?