[plug] ide positions

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Jun 5 14:37:55 WST 2002

On Wed, 05 Jun 2002 10:51:41 +0800 "John Knight" <anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Cheers mate!
>
> I've got that setup atm, but it does have a few quirks, due to the delay
> caused by accessing the cd burner or the dvd-rom drive. I didn't have hte
> problems before, and I notice ni the xconsole (a SuSE thing that says system
> info, very handy), I get Bad CRC check messages, which I never had before
> when the two cd-rom drives were on the same, secondary channel. Has anyone
> else got any thoughts to throw into this, or is it a case of problem
> solvered, I should stick with my current setup?

Weeeell .. depending on your HDD performance, if the drives are both ATA100
would it be better to put them on the primary channel with one of those cool
looking IDE cables with fine pitch ribbon cable ? Sorry  .. terminology escapes
me.

I thought (and I might have more than a few wires crossed here) that the slower
CD IDE devices will limit the performance of the IDE channel. By putting both CD
drives on the second IDE controller you are putting slow with slow and fast with
fast.

Considering latency and write speed issues for the hard drives are limits of the
spindles and not the 100ATA IDE cable, having the HDD's sharing the same IDE
probably won't affect their performance.

If the CDs can't share a slow IDE cable (as Richard has said) then this
organisation is not possible.

These are thoughts only. Reality may differ. Can anyone enlighten me on IDE
performance, cool cables and 100ATA, 133ATA etc etc ?

cu
Harry