[plug] reiserfs & bad sectors

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jun 5 21:35:48 WST 2002

Would it be possible to rearrange the partitions so that the bad sectors are
in an unused area between partitions (that is if they are not too widespread
across the disk)e.g.:

<partition1> <bad sectors> <partition2> <bad sectors> <partition3> <bad
sectors> <partition4>

But then maybe the drive is dying anyway - is it worth the risk and the
hassles ?

At 07:06 PM 05-06-2002 +0800, you wrote:
>G'Day all,
>    Is anyone aware if reiserfs can store information about bad sectors the way
>ext2/3 can? I've got a laptop HD with bad sectors in the last partition
where my
>woody/sid mirror is located. At this stage the system still works, although any
>attempt to take a copy of the mirror causes an IDE lockup. A reiserfsck
>--rebuild-tree generates a long list of errors. While a new HD is not the
>expensive ($185 for 10gig), I'd like to be able to use this one.
>
>Regards,
>Adrian Woodley
>Diskworld Computer & IT
>www.Diskworld.com.au