[plug] rute.sourceforge.net

Russell Keith-Magee Russell.Magee at calytrix.com
Thu Jun 6 11:04:14 WST 2002

> I must admit that I have often wondered what "rute" means too ... for that
> matter "sourceforge" is another trendy sounding word I would like to know
> the origin of.

I thought the idea behind SourceForge was pretty much as read: a Forge
(place where things are created) at which Source (code) is produced, coupled
with the fact that sourceforge.net, sourceforge.com, and sourceforge.org
were all available. The old anvil logo supported that theory.

IIRC, Bowie J. Poag (of Propaganda fame) claims he came up with the term,
and he seems to spend a lot of his time bitching on /. about the fact that
he doesn't get credit (read: cash) for it.

Russ %-)

Russell Keith-Magee
Software Engineer
Calytrix Technologies
Unit 9, EIR Building, Technology Park
PO Box 1173, BENTLEY 6982, Western Australia