[plug] upgrading hard drive

Jon L. Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Sun Jun 9 10:05:30 WST 2002

I need to run this by someone hoping to find the answer.
Currently I'm upgrading a system that has a 10G hdd and I want to change
that to a 20G hdd.
Using the following, I'm wondoering why I'm running out of space during
the copy process.
Old setup
/dev/hda2=/ =9.2G
/dev/hda1=/boot =45M
/dev/hda3=swap=55M

New setup
/dev/hdb1=/boot=50M
/dev/hdb2=/=15.2G
/dev/hdb3=swap=128M

What is happening after I create the mounts (/dev/hdb1 /newhdd and
/dev/hdb2 /newhdd/home) I issue the following:
cp / && echo cp -a `/bin/ls -1Ab | egrep -v "^newhdd$|^proc$"` /newhdd |
sh (all on one line)
This is so the copying skips /newhdd and /proc.

But I keep running out of space, it appears that the copying is going
into the boot partition. I'm assuming I need to change /newhdd to be
/newhdd/home. Does this seem right?

Like to know what the formula is to calculate cyclinders into MB.

TIA

jlm