[plug] upgrading hard drive

Cameron Patrick cp at chem.com.au
Sun Jun 9 12:46:46 WST 2002

G'day,

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 10:05:30AM +0800, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> I need to run this by someone hoping to find the answer.
> Currently I'm upgrading a system that has a 10G hdd and I want to change
> that to a 20G hdd.

I did something similar a few days ago, only upgrading from 6GB drive.

> What is happening after I create the mounts (/dev/hdb1 /newhdd and
> /dev/hdb2 /newhdd/home) I issue the following:
> cp / && echo cp -a `/bin/ls -1Ab | egrep -v "^newhdd$|^proc$"` /newhdd |
> sh (all on one line)
> This is so the copying skips /newhdd and /proc.

Use tar, it makes things easier.

(cd /; tar -clf -) | (cd /newhdd; tar -xpvf -)
(cd /home; tar -clf -) | (cd /newhdd/home; tar -xpvf -)
[etc, repeat for any other partitions]

The "-l" option tells tar to only do stuff on one file system, and "-p"
tells it to preserve all permissions etc.

> Like to know what the formula is to calculate cyclinders into MB.

It depends on the HD.  It's never really bothered me, though, because
fdisk does it for you.

CP.