[plug] Basic DHCP questions

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 14 12:35:57 WST 2002

> Setting up Mac Address is probably overkill
Not really. You can pretty easily do it for the core machines on a small
LAN (or a big one - our servers are coded in so that they're always at
the same IPs) and let transcient clients have undefined DNS names, etc -
or define them as "transcient1.localnet" etc.

> . you can pickup the hostname specified
> on the PC (ie: in Win32 under control panel DNS Tab) but i believe you need
> the latest Bind (9 i think)
ooh any refs to this? I'm _really_ interested in getting auto-updated
DNS zone files as dhcp allocations change but am not satisfied with the
somewhat clunky script based methods I've seen so far.

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)