[plug] #2 Website - Linux newbie

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Fri Jun 14 14:08:09 WST 2002

wayne wrote:

>However I do not know were to go to get the "connection" started.  Do I need
>a static IP and work from there?  I hoped others who have taken these steps
>can advise.  And I am certain that there are many different ways to tackle
>it.

You should basically get a permanent connection type internet account
with an ISP, with a static IP on that account.  If you can get and
afford ADSL, that would a suitable connection for that type of thing.
 Quite a few of the ISPs offering ADSL in Perth seem to be offering it
as standard with a static IP, or one for a low annual fee.

In short, ISDN = expensive.  You could do DoV on ISDN, but the only cost
effective untimed local voice calls you can get that I've seen are on
Onramp Home Highway, which can't be installed into a business premises,
only a residential premises.

So basically what you need to start off with is a permanent internet
connection, static IP and a domain name would be good (if you haven't
got one already).  You'll most probably have to pay for the DNS hosting
of your domain name, or your ISP might throw it in for free with your
account if you're lucky :).  You could probably host the master DNS
yourself, and have at least one slave DNS that your ISP hosts, advantage
to that is that you can make changes to the DNS yourself, but if the
master is down, the slave(s) still answers as an authoritative source
for your domain.

Thats a starting point anyway...

HTH :)

/ Ben