[plug] Thinking about Debian

Trent Lloyd trent at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 15 03:19:43 WST 2002

Personally, I think that woody would be your way to go. Potato is so out
of date today (over 2 year old I beleive) so using it as a desktop
wouldn't be the nicest thing in the world if you've been using some other
more modern distro.

Woody is actually frozen at the moment so no major updates are made, and
it is pretty rock solid.

As for installation, you have 3 choices:

- Netinstall CD (30MB): This CD provides you with just the kernel and
drivers, the rest needs to eb downloaded over an ethernet (dialup may be
supported, nto sure) connection.
- Woody Mini ISO (185MB): This CD provides you with everything you need to
get a basic text system. It is possible to then use the 'apt' package
manager to download all the rest of mirrors on the internet.
- Woody Full CD (576MB): This is the full cd with alot of packages include
X etc that will get you going

Netinstall
CD: http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/releases/20020416/woody_netinst-20020416-i386.iso
Woody Mini-ISO: http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/woody-i386-1.iso
Woody
CD1: http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-cd/woody/i386/woody-i386-1.raw

CD2: http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-cd/woody/i386/woody-i386-2.raw

CD3: http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-cd/woody/i386/woody-i386-3.raw
      etc. etc...

My personal recommendation is the Woody Mini-ISO. This will alow you to
get a good basic debian system setup and running, and you can connect to
the internet over dialup or ethernet to download additional packages with
the 'apt' package manager from the entire range. Downloading all the CDs
is pointless especially if you have a fast internet connection or access
to an ethernet mirror.

Alternatively, if you bring your machine down to one of the PLUG Workshop
meetings at UCC/UWA, and you have a network card, you can download off the
local mirror there at over 200 kB/s and install as much as you like for
free, saves all the downloading if you are on dialup.

The next workshop meeting is on Monday, 24th June
see
http://www.plug.org.au/modules.php?op=modload&name=PostCalendar&file=index&type=view&eid=24
for details.

Have fun, ;)