[plug] setting up

wayne hatari at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 15 11:49:42 WST 2002

On Friday, June 14, 2002 2:14 PM
James wrote:

> I have the CD's for Red Hat 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 and am currently running
7.1,
> but before I spend time upgrading Red Hat I would like to know what you
are
> using and what you suggest would be best for a new user.

Hello, James!

I am (still) a newbie.

I tried installing and using Redhat when Redhat was a pain 5.2 - and gave
up.

Then I tried Mandrake 7.2 and it was a dream for the partitioning - most
important (for me).  It has been used only for the games for kids and wife.
I upgraded to 8.1 and only work in the Gnome environ, but still can't get
the dialup working (probably because I left out most of the K environment -
if I recall?).  Mandrake has a very good GUI "Hard-Drake" for hardware
config, and "Linuxconfig" to get at just about everything.  The GUI/Windows
Manager (inciteful!) is also very good - although I still can't solve the
"Helps" and other screens running off the bottom of the resolution/monitor
(can someone revisit that for me too?)

However I will be trying other distros as I become a bit more active again
in Linux and would encourage same - but the distros just keep on coming!

Just personal comments - not flaming.

Regards to all,
wayne.