[plug] FAQ?? [was: "setting up"]

Paul Frayne paul.frayne at uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 18 10:53:11 WST 2002

Hi Wayne,

I can agree with you on why it would not be a good idea, however it would be
simple to make small FAQ of about X no of questions and answer about the
generic stuff that seem to be asked most often and then have various links
to other sites or information to help encourage the newbie to explore and
then if they can't solve the problem, to then contact a more experienced
person. It could also be helpful to provide a quick problem solving
checklist to make sure that the newbie can go through the list as they may
not even realise that something on the problem solving checklist could help
solve the problem.

Anyway, that is my thought on the issue.

Cheers

Paul

Paul wrote:

> I would agree with a FAQ on this sort of thing - if people were to help
put
> something together then it would be use to the newbies like myself.

Yes and No.

Yes because
1.  a newbie needs to have a good "immediate" source of help in the area he
needs.  However I have found that the newsagent mags and booklets are a very
good source of basic info too.  (I know, I know..$$$$)
2. don't want the "sperts" getting bored, now do we Leon.

And No; because
as a newbie I enjoy seeing all the banter about such simple topics as: the
different ways to write a small script; or permissions on dirs (could
someone please go back and answer that one for me); and install/boot
questions et cetera, et cetera.  And you also get the latest feedback on the
latest minor but important change in a distro, and much more.